All about the chronicles:

Welcome to the Potter's Wheel! We are so glad to have you stop by! Although one may be tempted to think you are on a blog about pottery, don't let the title fool you! This is a collection, a chronicle so to speak, of my world as a piece of lumpy clay on the crazy spinning wheel of The Potter. It is my view, as I see it, while spinning wildly in what sometimes feels like an out of control ride at the county fair. Although it appears that way to me and to the casual observer, the wheel is under the full control and guidance of the One. The One who can take a lumpy piece of clay and eventually turn it in to something beautiful in His eyes. My stories will cover so many topics that I have tried to break them down in an easy manner with the tabs above. Look up at the top purple row please. You will find posts about family issues (including homeschooling), my life as a cancer survivor, fitness, food, ADHD and a whole lot more. My posts are best read under the guise of each tab instead of in chronological order as mosts blogs are found. It is part of my ADHD, so you will have to deal with it! I hope that something I write will provide you with a "golden nugget" to put in your pocket for your own journey. Get out your motion sickness pills... Love ya, Lumpy


Join me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/TheLumpyClayChronicles

Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic Athletes Homeschooled!

As I watch my daughter compete in karate,  and soon to be fencing, I would be lying if I said I didn't dream for her the day she could ever compete in the Olympics.  I know it is a LOFTY dream, but I can't help it!  It is a mother's prerogative!!!  So, with my dream in mind,  I was so happy to see this great article today.  Since there were many other components to the article my readers might not be interested in, I copied this from an interview on a fellow home school blog, called Simple Homeschool by Jamie Martin.   All of these  Olympic Athletes were homeschooled!  Isn't that amazing?   You can find Jamie at www.simplehomeschool.net !  Great Article Jamie!

 

Athletes

Several of this year’s olympic hopefuls have homeschooled for part or most of their schooling years:
Arielle Martin – Cycling
Dana Vollmer – Swimming
Danell Levya – Gymnastics
David Boudia – Diving
Gabrielle Douglas – Gymnastics
John Orozco – Gymnastics
Kayla Harrison – Judo
McKayla Maroney – Gymnastics

Danell Leyva – USA Men’s Gymnastics, Homeschooled since 2nd Grade

Photo by Mitchell Haaseth / NBC Olympics
I had a chance to ask Danell about his homeschooling experience. Here’s what he had to say:
“I was born in Matanzas, Cuba and was raised and currently live in Miami, Florida. My stepfather Yin Alvarez and mom Maria Gonzalez both were members of Cuba’s gymnastic team. My family owns the gym that I train at and it made it really easy to balance studying with work. My stepdad has so much passion and drive. It has definitely rubbed off on me!
Homeschooling has definitely helped me be able to dedicate all the time I need to being in the gym and perfecting my craft. The extra time I can make for practice has really made all the difference and allowed me to achieve my dream of competing for the USA at the Olympics. When I am studying, I have the discipline needed to make the most of that time and the competitive desire to achieve academically as much as I do athletically.”
I enjoyed watching this short clip of Danell with his stepfather–who also serves as his coach. He came first in the men’s qualification yesterday, and will aim for the gold in the men’s team final today–Go, Danell!

Gabrielle Douglas – USA Women’s Gymnastics, Homeschooled since 3rd Grade

Photo by Mitchell Haaseth / NBC Olympics
Here’s what Gabby had to say when I asked how homeschooling has impacted her life:
Being homeschooled gives me the freedom not to be confined to just a classroom for learning. I’m learning everywhere, everyday. My classroom really is the world! I travel to competitions in countries all of the world and we use that as party of my studies.
I work at my own pace which allows me to follow my gymnastics dreams. Being homeschooled also helps build my self-discipline and time management. I have to balance priorities and school is definitely a very important one to me.”
You can catch Gabby in the women’s team final on July 31st!
Danell’s and Gabrielle’s stories remind me, once again, how homeschooling gives us extra time together as a family. It also allows our children to pursue their dreams–wherever those dreams may take them.
“Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us.”
~ Wilma Rudolph, (First American woman runner to win 3 gold medals at a single Olympics)

PS Please remember I did not write, gather information or interview these athletes...for more on the author visit www.simplehomeschool.net 

LUMPY OUT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment